New dads have a lot to learn – from how to change a diaper to how to deal with sleep deprivation. But don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it in no time. In the meantime, here are a few tips to help you through those first few weeks and beyond.
1. Get some sleep when you can: Sleep when your baby sleeps – it’s advice that’s been given to new moms for years, and it applies to new dads too. When your baby is napping, take the opportunity to catch up on some shut-eye yourself. You’ll be glad you did when your little one wakes up in the middle of the night.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask for help: Parenting is a team effort, so don’t be afraid to ask your partner, family, and friends for help when you need it. Whether it’s a break from midnight feedings or just someone to watch the baby while you take a shower, accepting help will make your life a lot easier.
3. Give yourself a break: You’re not going to be perfect, and that’s okay. So cut yourself some slack and don’t beat yourself up if things don’t go according to plan. It’s all part of the learning process.
4. Be patient: Babies don’t come with a manual, so it’s normal to feel like you’re winging it at times. The important thing is to be patient – with yourself and with your baby. Everything is new to both of you, so it’s going to take some time to figure things out.
5. Enjoy the ride: Parenting is one of the most rewarding experiences you’ll ever have. Yes, it can be challenging at times, but it’s also a lot of fun. So savor the moments — from the small ones like reading to your baby, to the big ones like their first smile.